Thursday, January 2, 2020

Watercolor Icing

Happy New Year! Welcome to the year of perfect vision. 👀
I am grateful for another year.  My hope for this year is to complete a few of my goals and to keep them alive well into the next decade.  Stay tuned!

Now let's start on these beautiful accidents.
The last Sunday in 2019, my husband and I dedicated our girls.  A Dedication is a Christian tradition where parents give their children back to God.  Naturally I wanted to bake so I made Sugar Cookies and used angel and heart cookie cutters.
I was determined to keep it simple and just do a plain white icing but the artist in me would not oblige.  The dilemma was getting some of the icing I made out of the piping bag to color it.  That idea did not sound fun so I thought of dropping food coloring onto the plain frosted cookie.  Not a good idea.  The food coloring just came out the other side of the cookie with a color stain in the middle.  I had a few other thoughts then came up with using a short skewer dipped in food coloring to paint the icing.  That worked!!!  And it was beautiful. 😍. They looked like watercolor paintings.


Here are the tools I used: 
  1. 1 flat plate
  2. 1 dot of color (per color) 
  3. toothpick or skewer (thin wooden stick with a point).

I must admit that the first one looked a bit gross.  I used red alone and that did not work.  I decided that pictures worked.  They are not perfect but I know this is a safe place.  😉
This was such a fun activity with my little! We were very excited and pleased with these beautiful accidents.  

Sometimes we just have to be willing to try something new.  
Beautiful accidents can occur. 😊





1 comment:

Pretzels!

I started this blog on the advice of my Mother in law. I started baking after I had my first little and spent a year at home with her. So I ...